Thursday, November 9, 2017

I pinky promise I did not stain it!

A series of fortunate events led to an unfortunate event. I will admit, the unfortunate event worked in my favor. The journey began when Dr. Cotter informed us that we will need to add our plastics and our bacteria in small, capped test tubes. We gladly complied assuming it would be an easy task. We were terribly wrong. We first had to weigh our tubes, zero our weighing machine, then add approximately 15 milligrams of our plastic using forceps. It was a challenge, but we managed. The next task was to add our bacteria to different types of the plastic (plastic type 3, 4,5 and 6). After giving them about 4 solid days, we filtered the excess liquid found in the tubes using the filtering machine. And as always, extreme precaution was taken so that there would be no contamination. Next, we placed the filtered paper in a PIA plate to observe if there will be growth on the plastic. Less than 24 hours later, the result...
P. stutzeri on styrofoam
The results shocked me and excited me a little. Next week, we are planning on doing the same experiment, but using larger tubes. I pinky promise not to stain that one as well. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Naya, I am a little confused about the “unfortunate event” that occurred. Did you or did you not stain your results? If you didn’t, the results you found this week were quite interesting! Do you happen to know what the color of it means? However, if you did stain it, how did you stain it? I apologize for the confusion!

    ReplyDelete

DO NOT READ!

I sometimes wonder if certain hormones increase in levels during night time. I have come across an article which explains oxytocin levels r...