Thursday, October 5, 2017

One step closer...

This week, the team had the opportunity to extract DNA from their bacteria. During the first week, we had to pick the bacteria we want to work on throughout the semester, and I had picked Pseudomonas stutzeri. Right now, the goal of the extraction is to run a PCR so that we could have our PCR primers to later try and culture some bacteria from specific types of plastic so that we can see if a specific type of Pseudomonas does, in fact, grow and degrade that form of plastic. 
In addition to that, this week, I was asked to prepare a ground form of plastic number 6, which we decided to use styrofoam for. To grind it, we used a blender. Seemed like a good idea until blending it became a disaster when static electricity chose to be a part of the blending. I couldn't get the styrofoam to stay in the blender. the more I blended and opened to check on it, the more of a mess I made. However, in the end, I asked if water can be added while blending so that it could get rid of the static electricity. After blending using water, Matt agreed to evaporate the water to leave us with our plastic. 


So far, my week has been very productive and successful. Hope the next week is as successful...

3 comments:

  1. I’m glad your week was successful as you had hoped it would be. I am also excited to do our PCR’s on our bacteria as well. Why did you have to grind Styrofoam though? I thought you were assigned plastics with the number 3. Anyways, it seemed like you had a productive week and a messy table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Naya, you mentioned that “the team” was able to extract DNA, does that include you? I’m interested in knowing what kind of DNA extraction you perform and how successful it is. I wasn’t very successful with my DNA extractions last semester and I’m hoping you don’t go through the same situation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your future husband!

    ReplyDelete

DO NOT READ!

I sometimes wonder if certain hormones increase in levels during night time. I have come across an article which explains oxytocin levels r...