Thursday, September 14, 2017

Last week, I had to leave my microbe in the glucose tube and MSA plate so I could be 100% sure it’s a gram-positive bacterium. After the 24 hours, my results were confirmed. My bacteria was a gram positive bacterium known as Bacillus subtilis. 
After figuring out the bacteria, my next mission was to pick the type of Pseudomonas bacteria I want to work with for the WAESO project. The WAESO project is concerned with the role Pseudomonas bacteria plays in the breakdown of micro plastics, and how micro plastics affect us. For this session in the WAESO project, I will be working with Pseudomonas stutzeri. Pseudomonas stutzeri is the bacteria that breakdown bio-plastics, which are used in the medical industry. Therefore, by understanding how these bacteria break down the plastics and the effects it has, we can come to a conclusion that will prevent other complications. Below are the Pseudomonas bacteria we will be working on throughout the semester.








1 comment:

  1. Hey Naya, no offense but the bacteria WAESO is interested in looks kind of gross (I can’t imagine what it smells like or what else it does). Anyway, from the pictures you provided, which one of those is Pseudomonas stutzeri? Aside from that, I’m happy to know that you were able to identify your unknown bacteria as Bacillus subtilis. Your hard work paid off!

    ReplyDelete

DO NOT READ!

I sometimes wonder if certain hormones increase in levels during night time. I have come across an article which explains oxytocin levels r...