Thursday, October 12, 2017

Three Birds with one stone

The week started off pretty interesting. We ran PCR of our assigned bacteria (Pseudomonas stutzeri). But first, Amber taught us how to run PCR gel by following the protocol provided to us by Dr. Cotter.
 

I shared a gel with a teammate, Jasmine, who's assigned bacteria is Pseudomonas putida. Unfortunately, I had made a mistake of pouring pipetting my DNA on the wring pool; I should have pipetted on pools number 6 and 7 instead of 5 and 7. after running our PCR, this was the band we observed.
  
Later that week, we sterilized the ground plastic we had prepared. We had a number 3 (PVC), a number 4 (LDPE), and a number 5 (PP). The processes wasn't complicated, but it did require careful handling to avoid contamination. We first put some plastic in small, autoclaved beaker after labeling the beakers. Then, 40 ml of 100% isopropanol was added to them in the fume hood then left them in there till we decide to use them during our next research meeting. 


Finally, today, we inoculated from our plates to thioglycollate tubes to identify if our bacteria is an aerobe, an anaerobe, facultative, or aerotolerant bacteria and left three tubes in incubation (bacteria PA, PP, and PS), and left PF at room temperature. 

Hopefully, we shall see some results from our tubes tomorrow. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Naya, you’ve got to admit, this week was fun. Completing all these procedures including completing the FTM test at last minute was lowkey awesome. I notice your DNA bands are solid and visible. I’m pretty sure you know what I’m excited about as far as this week unravels. THE ELECTRON MICROSCOPE, I can’t wait until I get my hands on those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Naya, your electrophoresis results look great! I’d like to ask though, did you only run your bacteria in slots 6 and 7 or was there another bacteria involved? I guess what I’m trying to ask is what were in the other slots, other than Jasmine’s bacteria? Also, I don’t know if you felt bad for making a mistake, but if you did, don’t. Instead, take it as a learning experience. :)

    ReplyDelete

DO NOT READ!

I sometimes wonder if certain hormones increase in levels during night time. I have come across an article which explains oxytocin levels r...